Do you know what the requirements are to apply for the 2024 Visa Lottery? The United States Department of State has opened registration for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, better known as the Visa Lottery. Find out what you need, deadlines, how to apply and more.
The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for Immigrants gives permanent residence in the United States and in the future may allow obtaining US citizenship. Each year it grants 55,000 visas to people from countries with low levels of migration to the United States.
If you are interested in applying, you must do it quickly because there are millions of applicants. Find out the details below.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY TO THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
These are the requirements to participate, according to the Department of State:
- Have at least a secondary education or its equivalent, defined as the successful completion of a 12-year course of formal primary and secondary education.
- Two years of work experience within the last 5 years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience to perform.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
The dates are from 12:00 pm on October 5, 2022 (GMT-4) until 12:00 p.m. (GMT-4) on Tuesday, November 8, 2022.However, do not wait for the last moment because the demand is high. The application is made through the Electronic Diversity Visa Program website.
WHAT IS THE COST TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION TO APPLY TO THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
Sending the request is free. There is no cost.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
You must follow the following steps:
- Sign in to https://dvprogram.state.gov/
Complete the following information:
- Name and surname as it appears in your passport.
- Date of Birth.
- City where you were born.
- Country in which you were born.
- Country for which you apply (in general it will coincide with your country of birth, but there may be exceptions, for example, if you apply for the country of your spouse).
- A recent photograph of you and photos of your spouse and/or children if they are included in the application. For more details, enter here.
- Country in which you currently live.
- Phone number (optional)
- Email address.
- The highest educational level you have reached so far.
- Your marital status (if you have a spouse, you must enter their information even if you do not plan to immigrate with him or her or plan to divorce).
- Information about your children, regardless of whether or not you plan to have them come to the United States with you.
WHEN WILL THE RESULTS OF THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY BE KNOWN?
The results will be available from May 6, 2023 until at least September 30, 2024. To know if you were drawn, you must do the following:
- Use the participant status verification directly with the US Department of State to see if you won.
- Enter your confirmation number.
NOTE: Note that you will not receive a letter or email letting you know if you won.
WHAT DO I DO IF I WAS SELECTED IN THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
If you were selected you must do the following:
- Submit the Green Card application with the form DS-260.
- Attend an interview.
- By 2024, the year in which the visas will be issued, you must have sufficient financial resources to reside in the United States.
WHICH COUNTRIES PARTICIPATE IN THE 2024 VISA LOTTERY?
The Department of State distributes diversity visas among six geographic regions and no country can receive more than 7% of the available diversity visas. The eligible countries are:
- Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Ivory Coast (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea , Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan , Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao Special Administrative Region, North Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino , Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Vatican City.
- Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Federated States of Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
Central America, South America and the Caribbean
- Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname , Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.