The Venezuelan cyclist Leangel Linarez, from the Tavfer-Mortágua-Ovos Matinados team, won this Friday the third stage of the Volta al Alentejoin which his compatriot Orluis Aular (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) regained the lead he had lost the day before.
Linarez won a sprint victory and crossed the finish line first after traveling the 176.7 kilometers between Elvas and Ponte de Sor with a time of 3h58:33. Aular, second, and the Portuguese Daniel Freitas, third, completed the podium of the third stage of the “Alentejana”.
The Venezuelan from Caja Rural recovered the yellow jersey, which he had taken from him the day before the Spanish Xabier Mikel Azparren (Euskaltel-Euskadi) after winning the second stage and reap his first victory as a professional.
Aular leads the general with three seconds ahead of the Spanish cyclist and 8 over Linarez. Another Spaniard from Euskaltel, Iker Ballarín, is seventh, 16 seconds off the lead.
The fourth stage of the Volta al Alentejo is a time trial of 8.4 kilometers that will be held this Saturday between Castelo de Vide and Cri. The 39th edition of the race, in which 19 teams participate, runs until Sunday.
Classification 3rd stage (Elvas – Ponte de Sor)
1. Leangel Linarez (VEN/Tavfer-Mortagua) – 3h 58:33
2. Orlius Aular (VEN/Caja Rural) – mt
3. Daniel Freitas (POR/Boavista) – mt
5. Juan Jose Lobato (ESP/Euskaltel) – mt
7. Mikel Aristi (ESP/Euskaltel) – mt
General classification Vuelta al Alentejo
1. Orlius Aular (VEN/Caja Rural) – 12h 33:37
2. Xabier Mikel Azparren (ESP/Euskaltel) – 3”
3. Leangel Linarez (VEN/Tavfer-Mortágua) – 8”
4. Tiago Machado (POR/Boavista) – at 9”
7. Iker Ballarin (ESP/Euskaltel) – 16”