The supranational public prosecutors who represented the Peruvian State before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IA Court) indicated that there are conditions for the provisional measures requested by the victims of the Barrios Altos and La Cantuta cases to be issued against the release of Alberto Fujimori.
In the round of questions of the session that took place virtually and publicly this Friday, March 1, Attorney General Carlos Reaño responded in this way when asked if the State supported or rejected the request for these measures.
“The State considers that the elements are given for the court to grant provisional measures”he specified.
Previously, the prosecutor had assured that in Peru the independence of the powers given by the Constitution to the different autonomous institutions is respected, including the Constitutional Court (TC), where a resolution was issued in favor of the humanitarian pardon of Alberto Fujimori.
“However, the Peruvian State is also emphatic in pointing out that said decisions cannot be excluded from the conventional control of the organs of the inter-American system”commented.
Reaño highlighted the official letter that Pedro Castillo sent to the president of the Inter-American Court where he expresses his solidarity with the victims and the government’s willingness to abide by any decision they make on the former president’s situation.
At another time, the attorney responded to Alberto Fujimori’s state of health and how this could affect his ability to flee from justice if he is pardoned. Precisely, he said that they have requested data to be able to send them to the Inter-American Court.
“Information has been requested regarding Mr. Fujimori’s state of health. The age situation is definitely different at the time the pardon was granted in 2017 […] When there is more information about the specific state before an evaluation of the medical board of the penitentiary institute, it will be transferred in writing to the court “he stated.