Here are some figures of the reality that mothers live in the country.
– At the end of 2020, 35 million of 221,314 Mexican women had children. In other words, 7 out of 10 women aged 15 or over said they were mothers.
– They have 2.2 children on average.
– 48% say they are married23% live in free Union10% is widow9% are separated7% single and 3% divorcee.
– 57% of the mothers had basic education19% with upper secondary education17% with studies of higher education, and 7% lacked any school level.
– 4 out of 10 mothers were economically active at the end of 2020.
– Colima, Baja California Sur, Baja California and CDMX are the states where mothers have a greater economic participation.
– Chiapas, Zacatecas, Veracruz and Tabasco are the entities where Mexican mothers have a lower economic participation.
Working mothers in the country
*63% are employed or workers.
*26% are self-employed.
*4% is assistant with payment.
*3% are unpaid workers.
*3% are employers.
*1% is day laborer or laborer.
According to Coneval, the insertion of mothers in the labor market falls 5 percentage points during the first years of their children’s lives.
Having children reduces women’s labor participationwhile in men it increases: the average employment rate of mothers aged 21 to 55 was 55% between 2016 and 2020, while that of women without children was at least 10 percentage points elder.
If the period from August to November 2020 is compared with the same period in 2018, the employed population with children under 5 years of age decreased by 11.0% in men and by 8.6% in women.
In 2020, at the national level, average weekly hours that women dedicated to caring for other people in the home exceeded by 11.5 those dedicated by men.
From 2018 to 2020, the increase in the total number of hours that women spent on housework was 67 million, while for men it was 44 million.
Feminized occupations presented the greatest job losses in the period from August to November 2020. The employed population of women in this type of work decreased by 948,300 people, while the decrease in employment of men in these occupations was 220,300 people .