Two people tested positive for hantavirus fever after performing laboratory tests. The new cases were reported in residents of the Chitré and Ocú districts, according to confirmation by Epidemiology of the Herrera Health region.
According to the Ministry of Health, these cases were identified last weekend, and occurred in a 47-year-old male patient residing in the Chitré district, who was treated and remained hospitalized in a private medical center in the capital city, currently under outpatient management and in a stable state of health.
A 34-year-old resident of the community of La Huaca, Los Llanos district in the Ocú district, also presented consistent symptoms of hantavirus fever, which was confirmed after performing the diagnostic test.
The patient remains hospitalized in the ward at the Gustavo Nelson Collado Ríos hospital, in Chitré, in stable condition.
The Minsa highlighted that in both cases, field tests were carried out and the necessary recommendations were provided to avoid other infections, including the correct disposal of bales of grass, animal feed and grains.
Vector Control technicians will also proceed to place traps around the homes and places frequented by patients, to check for the presence of the disease-transmitting mouse.
During the year 2022, the province of Herrera maintains a total of seven cases of hantavirus, so it is recommended that the population take extreme cleaning measures in the properties of their residence and surroundings in order to prevent the spread of the virus.
Other recommended preventive measures are:
– Store grains in bags and closed plastic containers (silos), place them on pallets and separated from the walls.
– Locate firewood, wood or any other useful material at a distance from the residence, in a dry, ventilated area and on pallets.
– Drain wastewater from patios and keep them clean.
– Keep the kitchen area clean and utensils covered in containers, in order to prevent them from coming into contact with rodents.
– Open doors and windows for 60 minutes before cleaning areas that have been closed for a long time.
– Spray the floor with water, to avoid raising dust