Former President Donald Trump on Monday filed a lawsuit against the US government over the FBI search of his mansion in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, in an attempt to prevent authorities from reviewing documents seized at his private home.
The FBI raided Mar-a-Lago two weeks ago to retrieve top-secret classified documents that Trump allegedly tried to withhold despite multiple attempts by authorities to secure them.
Trump’s lead attorney, Jim Trusty, said that “the lawsuit argues that the court should appoint a special master, usually a retired attorney or judge, because the FBI potentially seized privileged materials in its search and the Justice Department should not decide.” for yourself what you can use in your research.”
The suit also “requires the government to provide more detailed property information; and return any seized items that were not within the scope of the search warrant.”
“We have just filed a motion in a United States Court strongly affirming my rights, including under the Fourth Amendment to our Constitution, with respect to unnecessary, unwarranted, and un-American trespass by dozens of FBI agents, and others, from my house, Mar-a-Lago, in Palm Beach, Florida,” Trump said.
“They demanded to turn off the security cameras, a request that we legitimately denied. They prevented my lawyers from seeing what was stolen in the raid, saying ‘absolutely not’. They took documents covered by attorney-client and executive privilege, which is not allowed,” Trump alleged.
They took my passports. They even successfully broke into my personal safe, which revealed…nothing!”
“We now demand that the Department of ‘Justice’ be instructed to immediately STOP reviewing documents illegally seized from my home. ALL documents have been previously declassified,” Trump said, despite the federal warrant revealing that 11 sets of top-secret documents were recovered from Trump’s residence.