Howe, who joined Newcastle shortly after the British club’s purchase by a Saudi sovereign wealth fund, managed to keep the ‘Magpies’ in the Premier League last season.
“It’s a great feeling to commit my future to this amazing club,” said Howe.
The 44-year-old manager, who came to the ‘Magpie’ bench in November 2020, was without a team after leaving Bournemouth in August 2020 by mutual agreement with the club. Between 2012 and 2020 he led the club from League 1 (third division) until making the leap to the Premier League for the first time in the club’s history in 2015.
“I am extremely proud to be the manager of Newcastle United; I have enjoyed every moment here”, continued the coach.
Looking ahead to the new season, Newcastle was expected to spend heavily on the market with the backing of the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund.
So far, however, the club has been relatively modest with just 60 million pounds ($73 million) spent to sign Dutch defender Sven Botman and goalkeeper Nick Pope, as well as the re-signing of left-back Matt Targett.
“We are still at the beginning of our journey,” Howe said. The former Bournemouth manager was criticized last season for failing to speak out against human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia.
“He is young, dynamic and an ambitious manager, who suits Newcastle well,” the club said in a statement.
Newcastle kick off their Premier League season on Saturday (11:00) at home against newly promoted Nottingham Forest.
The entrance Miguel Almirón’s manager renews “long-term” with Newcastle was first published in diary TODAY.