Boris Becker: the legendary German tennis player enters prison after being sentenced to two and a half years in prison in the United Kingdom
Boris Becker arrived at court with his partner, Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro.
Tennis player Boris Becker, three times Wimbledon champion, was sentenced to two and a half years in prison this Friday by a British court for hiding assets and loans worth more than US$3 million to avoid paying their debts.
Becker, 54, was found guilty on four counts. based on UK Insolvency Law.
The case centered on Becker’s bankruptcy filing in June 2017 as a result of a $3.7 million-plus loan he failed to repay. for his luxury residence on the island of Mallorca, in Spain.
Judge Deborah Taylor said the former German tennis player and former world number one had shown no remorse no acceptance of blame.
Referring to the two-year suspended prison sentence Becker received in Germany in 2002 for tax evasionthe judge assured: “He did not pay attention to the warning that they gave him and to the opportunity that the suspension of the sentence gave him and that is an important aggravating factor…”.
“You have sought to distance yourself from his offense and his bankruptcy. Although I accept his humiliation as part of the process, there has been no humility.”
Boris Becker will have to spend half of his sentence in prison.
Guilty on four counts
Earlier this month, a jury found guilty to Becker of theft of property, two counts of non-disclosure of his assets and concealment of debt.
He was acquitted of another 20 chargesincluding nine for failing to hand over their tennis trophies and medals.
Becker – winner of six Grand Slam tournaments – will have to spend half of his 30-month sentence in prisonaccording to the Daily Mail newspaper.
His attorney, Jonathan Laidlaw, le told the court that the tennis star’s “fall from grace” had left “his reputation in tatters”.
“Boris Becker has literally nothing and there is also nothing to show what a brilliant sports career was and that is a tragedy”.
“This process has completely destroyed his career. and has ruined any future prospects of earning an income.
Now you can receive notifications from BBC World. Download the new version of our app and activate it so you don’t miss out on our best content.
Boris Becker arrived at court with his partner, Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro.
Tennis player Boris Becker, three times Wimbledon champion, was sentenced to two and a half years in prison this Friday by a British court for hiding assets and loans worth more than US$3 million to avoid paying their debts.
Becker, 54, was found guilty on four counts. based on UK Insolvency Law.
The case centered on Becker’s bankruptcy filing in June 2017 as a result of a $3.7 million-plus loan he failed to repay. for his luxury residence on the island of Mallorca, in Spain.
Judge Deborah Taylor said the former German tennis player and former world number one had shown no remorse no acceptance of blame.
Referring to the two-year suspended prison sentence Becker received in Germany in 2002 for tax evasionthe judge assured: “He did not pay attention to the warning that they gave him and to the opportunity that the suspension of the sentence gave him and that is an important aggravating factor…”.
“You have sought to distance yourself from his offense and his bankruptcy. Although I accept his humiliation as part of the process, there has been no humility.”
Boris Becker will have to spend half of his sentence in prison.
Guilty on four counts
Earlier this month, a jury found guilty to Becker of theft of property, two counts of non-disclosure of his assets and concealment of debt.
He was acquitted of another 20 chargesincluding nine for failing to hand over their tennis trophies and medals.
Becker – winner of six Grand Slam tournaments – will have to spend half of his 30-month sentence in prisonaccording to the Daily Mail newspaper.
His attorney, Jonathan Laidlaw, le told the court that the tennis star’s “fall from grace” had left “his reputation in tatters”.
“Boris Becker has literally nothing and there is also nothing to show what a brilliant sports career was and that is a tragedy”.
“This process has completely destroyed his career. and has ruined any future prospects of earning an income.
Now you can receive notifications from BBC World. Download the new version of our app and activate it so you don’t miss out on our best content.
This Saturday morning (21) could be a great one for Brazilian tennis. Starting at 9:30 am (Brasília time), the duo formed by Luisa Stefani from São Paulo, number 14 in the Women’s
At least 12 countries have issued travel alerts to Cuba. The post Norway advises against trips to Cuba that are not strictly necessary appeared first on Cubanet. Source link
He 2025 closed with an increase in firearm thefts recorded 153 abductions16 more than in 2024, when 137 cases were recorded. Already that year there were 38 above 2023, the year in
Trump’s economic agenda suffers a definitive judicial impact, since the Supreme Court rules that the Emergency Powers Act (IEEPA) does not grant unlimited powers to the Executive to impose taxes The United
The International Surfing Association (ISA) announced this Friday (20) how the places will be distributed at the Los Angeles Olympics, in the United States, in 2028. The main change is the reduction