Boris Becker: the legendary German tennis player enters prison after being sentenced to two and a half years in prison in the United Kingdom
Boris Becker arrived at court with his partner, Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro.
Tennis player Boris Becker, three times Wimbledon champion, was sentenced to two and a half years in prison this Friday by a British court for hiding assets and loans worth more than US$3 million to avoid paying their debts.
Becker, 54, was found guilty on four counts. based on UK Insolvency Law.
The case centered on Becker’s bankruptcy filing in June 2017 as a result of a $3.7 million-plus loan he failed to repay. for his luxury residence on the island of Mallorca, in Spain.
Judge Deborah Taylor said the former German tennis player and former world number one had shown no remorse no acceptance of blame.
Referring to the two-year suspended prison sentence Becker received in Germany in 2002 for tax evasionthe judge assured: “He did not pay attention to the warning that they gave him and to the opportunity that the suspension of the sentence gave him and that is an important aggravating factor…”.
“You have sought to distance yourself from his offense and his bankruptcy. Although I accept his humiliation as part of the process, there has been no humility.”
Boris Becker will have to spend half of his sentence in prison.
Guilty on four counts
Earlier this month, a jury found guilty to Becker of theft of property, two counts of non-disclosure of his assets and concealment of debt.
He was acquitted of another 20 chargesincluding nine for failing to hand over their tennis trophies and medals.
Becker – winner of six Grand Slam tournaments – will have to spend half of his 30-month sentence in prisonaccording to the Daily Mail newspaper.
His attorney, Jonathan Laidlaw, le told the court that the tennis star’s “fall from grace” had left “his reputation in tatters”.
“Boris Becker has literally nothing and there is also nothing to show what a brilliant sports career was and that is a tragedy”.
“This process has completely destroyed his career. and has ruined any future prospects of earning an income.
Now you can receive notifications from BBC World. Download the new version of our app and activate it so you don’t miss out on our best content.
Boris Becker arrived at court with his partner, Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro.
Tennis player Boris Becker, three times Wimbledon champion, was sentenced to two and a half years in prison this Friday by a British court for hiding assets and loans worth more than US$3 million to avoid paying their debts.
Becker, 54, was found guilty on four counts. based on UK Insolvency Law.
The case centered on Becker’s bankruptcy filing in June 2017 as a result of a $3.7 million-plus loan he failed to repay. for his luxury residence on the island of Mallorca, in Spain.
Judge Deborah Taylor said the former German tennis player and former world number one had shown no remorse no acceptance of blame.
Referring to the two-year suspended prison sentence Becker received in Germany in 2002 for tax evasionthe judge assured: “He did not pay attention to the warning that they gave him and to the opportunity that the suspension of the sentence gave him and that is an important aggravating factor…”.
“You have sought to distance yourself from his offense and his bankruptcy. Although I accept his humiliation as part of the process, there has been no humility.”
Boris Becker will have to spend half of his sentence in prison.
Guilty on four counts
Earlier this month, a jury found guilty to Becker of theft of property, two counts of non-disclosure of his assets and concealment of debt.
He was acquitted of another 20 chargesincluding nine for failing to hand over their tennis trophies and medals.
Becker – winner of six Grand Slam tournaments – will have to spend half of his 30-month sentence in prisonaccording to the Daily Mail newspaper.
His attorney, Jonathan Laidlaw, le told the court that the tennis star’s “fall from grace” had left “his reputation in tatters”.
“Boris Becker has literally nothing and there is also nothing to show what a brilliant sports career was and that is a tragedy”.
“This process has completely destroyed his career. and has ruined any future prospects of earning an income.
Now you can receive notifications from BBC World. Download the new version of our app and activate it so you don’t miss out on our best content.
On the last Saturday (21) of Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, the Bloco da Anitta should bring together revelers on Rua Primeiro de Março. The Mulheres de Chico block, in Leme, in
The Government of Jamaica confirmed this week that its medical cooperation program with Cuba “is still in force,” although the agreement that regulates this collaboration is currently being renegotiated amid pressure from
Santo Domingo.– The Dominican Republic will begin to receive within a period of 12 months the first of four coastal patrol vessels acquired from Portugal for an amount of 24 million euros,
The Government of Uruguay is evaluating sending food such as powdered milk and rice to Cuba in the midst of the energy crisis that the island is going through. This was what
Santo Domingo.- Social networks are flooded with “miraculous” recipes: mixtures of turmeric, ginger, carrot, cucumber, celery,lemon or orange that promise a rapid and “natural” weight loss. Influencers and creators of content ensure