One of the most striking and magical seasons in the Colombian Pacific has begun and it has to do with the arrival of the humpback whales, better known as the ‘Humpback whales’, that reach the waters of the Pacific coast to reproduce.
Traveling thousands of miles from the Antarctica and southern Chile, This species arrives in the waters of our country to fertilize and welcome their calves that will have the Pacific as their cradle, where they will learn to jump and develop habits for their adult life. This phenomenon occurs between Uramba Bahía Málaga, Gorgona and Utría, in that region of the country.
You may be interested in: Asocaña rejected the invasion of their properties and the destruction of their crops in Cali
The sighting season began last Thursday, July 15, and will last until August. For visitors who were looking forward to this season, they will be able to witness from the authorized sites of the Cauca, Valle del Cauca, Nariño and Chocó.
In this sense and with the objective that this season be carried out by saving the life of this species, National Parks issued some recommendations so that the sighting is responsible and within the permitted areas, so that tourists take them into account. Some of them are:
- Attend the 10-minute induction on the importance of the protected area.
- It is essential to maintain a distance of 200 meters when watching the whales.
- All vessels must be accompanied by an environmental interpreter.
- The time allowed for the boats to carry out the sighting per day is from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Do not bring single-use plastics into protected areas.