The Prosecutor’s Office criminally investigates Nicolás Petro, eldest son of the Colombian president Gustavo Petro, for their alleged meetings with drug traffickers in jail and for a”possible money laundering“, as reported on Tuesday by the prosecution body.
(See: Attorney General opens investigation into Nicolás Petro, son of the President).
“The units of the Office of the Attorney General of the Nation are investigating the criminal case and also in the case of property or possible money laundering, these are the advances that have been made“, the attorney general, Francisco Barbosa, said in statements to the media.
The Prosecutor’s Office began, at the beginning of March, to investigate the accusations against the deputy Nicolás Petro, whom his ex-wife accuses of receiving money from a drug dealer for his father’s presidential campaign which, however, never reached that destination.
(See: This is what Nicolás Petro said about the accusations against him).
President Petro himself asked that he be investigated -both this one who is the eldest of his sons and his brother Juan Fernando Petro- to “determine responsibilities”, although he has always been “confident” that his innocence can be “demonstrated”.
“There is a presumption of innocence and there are judicial guarantees, what happens is that all investigations by the Prosecutor’s Office are always focused on people in the criminal field and on assets so that there are no assets tied to criminal activities“, alleged, this Tuesday, March 21, the prosecutor in statements to the media.
(See: The Prosecutor’s Office opened an investigation against the son of President Petro).
The accusations against
The ex-wife of Petro’s son, Day Vásquez, assured in an interview with the magazine Week that drug trafficker Samuel Santander Lopesierra, alias ‘the Marlboro man’, handed over to Nicolás Petro, deputy in the Atlántico Departmental Assembly, “more than 600 million pesos (about 124,700 dollars today) for the father’s campaign“.
“That never reached the campaign legally because he kept that money, and so on.“added the woman, who mentioned that Nicolás Petro also received 200 million pesos (about $41,500) from businessman Alfonso ‘Turco’ Hilsaca, who did not go to the campaign either.
(See: Nicolás Petro says that his ‘money does not come from the mafia’).
And I add: “Everything he has done since 2022, well ending 2021 and starting 2022, which was the electoral or pre-electoral period“.
According to information published on the La Silla Vacía portal, Vásquez would have communicated all this information to another of Petro’s daughters, Andrea, who would have transmitted it to her father before the end of last year, but until now, when the information was was going to make public in the interview Week, the president would not have acted.
(See: The luxuries of Petro’s son, accused of receiving money from a “narco”).
Regarding the investigation against Juan Fernando Petro, brother of the president, the Prosecutor’s Office already has one open “ex officio criminal news“(an investigation to see if there are signs of crime) since last January 23, because his name appeared in connection with alleged payments carried out by drug traffickers to obtain quotas in total peace, although he declares himself a victim of identity theft.