This Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin considered the new US sanctions against Cuba unacceptable when receiving the Cuban Foreign Minister, Bruno Rodríguez, in Moscow.
“You know our position on the matter. We do not accept anything similar,” Putin told Rodríguez.
He added that the Russian Foreign Ministry, with whose head the Cuban minister met hours before, had already stated the Russian position in an “open, clear and unequivocal” way.
Rodríguez, for his part, thanked Putin for Russia’s solidarity in difficult times for the Caribbean island.
After the meeting between the two, Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov confirmed that the parties discussed the concrete help that Moscow can provide to Havana under current conditions.
Previously, the head of Russian diplomacy, Sergei Lavrov, and Rodríguez called for dialogue with the United States, asking it to renounce its plans for a naval blockade of Cuba.
“We are ready for a respectful dialogue on equal terms with any country,” Rodríguez said at the beginning of his meeting with Lavrov in Moscow.
The Cuban Foreign Minister, whose visit was not announced, assured that, despite pressure from Washington, Havana will defend its sovereignty and independence and maintain its “unalterable” course.
Moscow recently announced that it is in contact with the Cuban authorities and that the supply of oil to the Cuban regime is planned, something that has not happened since the shipment of 100 thousand tons of crude oil in February 2025.
In addition, Russian airlines have had to suspend their flights to Havana and repatriate several thousand tourists due to the lack of fuel on the Caribbean island.
