The Economy Minister, Sergio Massa, will announce next Tuesday the levels of increases in gas, electricity, and water rates that will govern in the different regions of the country, “since they will seek to respect the particularities of each region,” according to sources from the Palacio de Hacienda indicated.
“It is not the same to use 400 kilowatts in the Federal Capital and Greater Buenos Aires, than in the northeast of the country, where they cook with electricity,” the sources said.
The head of the Palacio de Hacienda had stated during his first presentation that “the almost 4 million households that did not request subsidies in the tariff segmentation “will be the first cut” and will stop receiving the benefitand announced that a scheme will be implemented to promote savings in energy consumption.
—Telam Agency (@TelamAgency) August 4, 2022
Massa had indicated that “among the more than 9 million who did ask to keep the subsidy will promote savings for consumption“, and detailed that “up to 400 kilowatts will be subsidized in electricity, in gas matters the removal will follow the same logic and in water the application of the removal by segmentation will begin in September”.
Meanwhile, the spokeswoman for the Presidency, Gabriela Cerruti, stated this Thursday that of the 9 million households that requested to maintain electricity and gas subsidies, “80% spend less than 400 kilowatts per month, so they will maintain the subsidy”in relation to the tariff segmentation undertaken by the national government.
“Of the remaining 20% we do not expect them to pay more fees, but reduce your expenses a little” energy, added Cerruti during his usual weekly press conference in which he provided details of the meeting held this Thursday between the president, Alberto Fernández, and his economy minister, Sergio Massa.
The official also indicated that the new policy in relation to tariffs does not only have a fiscal objective, but also pursues “an idea of starting to consider that both gas and electricity are goods that are difficult to access in the world, that they are goods that we have to take care of because they have to do with the climate crisis, and that therefore saving has to become a voluntary but persistent action of Argentine men and women”.
The minister will announce this Friday who will accompany him in the strategic secretariat of Economic Policy, which is considered as a deputy minister, those same official sources added.
At the same time, a spokesman for the Palacio de Hacienda confirmed that Massa will carry out, between the last week of August and the first week of September, a tour of the United States, France and Qatarwhere he will dialogue with international credit organizations and investment banks.
The minister said on Wednesday that three international financial institutions and a sovereign wealth fund offered “four Repo offers: for strengthening reserves and repurchasing sovereign debt.”
“I thank Mauricio Claver-Carone from the IDB for the meeting held in which we evaluated the status of existing loans and new financing opportunities to promote inclusive development and develop infrastructure works in our country,” Massa said in his account. On twitter.
On Wednesday, Massa undertook to manage the acceleration of disbursements from international organizations, whose credits are in the pipeline but have yet to be approved and others had already been approved but were delayed, for US$1.2 billion; as well as a new program with CAF for an additional US$750 million.
From the economic portfolio it was confirmed that the Secretary of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Juan José Bahillo, met with his predecessor, Julián Domínguez, to draw up a roadmap of issues to promote, and they have already contacted the president of the Rural Society Argentina, Nicolás Pino, to hold a meeting next week with the members of the Liaison Table.