(EFE) Island, according to what he told América Teve
“They wanted me to get my father out of prison, they were going to use me to try to get him out of the country and I did not accept any condition that they put on me,” Ferrer said on América Tevé radio.
In the interview, released exclusively this Wednesday, the young man confirmed that he “recently” visited his father and that he continues on a hunger strike after beatings suffered in prison.
“I saw him super weak, physically he is very thin. He told me that they had given him countless blows to his ribs and kidneys that left them destroyed”
“I saw him super weak, physically he is very thin. He told me that they had given him innumerable blows to his ribs and kidneys that left them devastated (…), from that day on he began a hunger strike,” he told the journalist Mario J. Penton.
The Council for Democratic Transition in Cuba (CTDC) recently denounced that opposition figure José Daniel Ferrer, in prison after trying to join the anti-government protests on July 11, 2021, he was attacked in front of his family, for which he began a hunger strike.
According to a statement from the CTDC, Ferrer “was beaten in the presence of his children and his wife during a family visit” at the Mar Verde prison in Santiago de Cuba on December 9.
“My father has made a lot of progress, he is the person who has made the most progress, but even so he has not been able to achieve what he wants, which is freedom,” said the son of the opponent, who added that from exile he will “try to study a university degree and continue supporting the opposition in Cuba”.
“In Cuba, lately people have opted more to leave the country than to continue fighting,” said the young man, who, according to América Tevé, reunited with his mother and two of his sisters when he took the path of exile.
“In Cuba, lately people have opted more to leave the country than to continue fighting,” said the young man.
Ferrer was arrested on October 1, 2019 and sentenced to prison in February 2020 after a closed-door trial for an alleged crime of injuring another man, a charge that his family and collaborators deny.
After six months in jail, and amid strong international pressure, in April 2020 his sentence was commuted to a sentence of four and a half years of house arrest.
More than a year later, the dissident was jailed again for joining the 9/11 protests.
The Cuban Justice revoked in August of last year the benefit of home detention of the well-known dissident and sentenced him to remain in prison for the remaining years of his sentence for an alleged assault.
Collaborate with our work:
The team of 14ymedio He is committed to doing serious journalism that reflects the reality of deep Cuba. Thank you for accompanying us on this long road. We invite you to continue supporting us, but this time becoming a member of our newspaper. Together we can continue transforming journalism in Cuba.