Santo Domingo.- «That justice be done, that justice be done; don’t let him go responsible of my son’s death. Because here they catch him and after two days he is out on the streets”, in these terms the mother of Joel Raphael Cabrera Espino expressed herself.
Tomorrow the victim of the “deadly stone” is buried in the Jacobo Majluta Memorial Garden Cemetery.
“He was in Santo Domingo Este, leaving a friend from the group who asked him for a ball,” said Claribel Espino, mother of the deceased.
Relatives of Joel Cabrera Espino, a 29-year-old young man who at 4 in the morning last Sunday received “a stone” from the pedestrian bridge while walking along 27 de Febrero avenue near the corner of Ortega y Gassete avenue, they said who found out about the death through social networks (AccidentesRD).
Cabrera Espino, was the second of three children of the marriage between Juan Francisco Cabrera and Claribel Espino, residents of the Café de Herrera in the capital, where they were all born.
”We had plans to spend Christmas at our grandmother’s house, here in Santo Domingo,” Espino said with obvious sadness.
Claribel Espino, Cabrera’s mother, specified “Joel used to inform me when he was going to return late or when he was going to sleep over at a friend’s house and, exactly on the day of the incident, he did not inform me anything. I asked my husband if Joel had arrived and he said no; I started calling him through the fleet, I put him messages and nothing,” she narrated with a voice cracking with pain.
Espino said that he called Joel’s friends at 5 in the morning, telling them that his son had not arrived yet. He said that the comrades went looking for him and when they arrived in front of the Olympic Stadium they saw a unit from the National Institute of Forensic Sciences (Inacif) collecting Cabrera’s body.
However, the companions of the ill-fated young man informed Espino that Joel had gone out to deliver one of the companions to her house after sharing with other friends who were in the Eastern Zone at about 4 in the morning and they considered You should have arrived at your house by now.
Juan Francisco Cabrera, father, explained ”My son had been working at the Claro company for 5 years, in the Fiber Optic installation department. I also work in that company, where I have been 38 years», Cabrera clarified with nostalgic sobriety.
Likewise, the victim’s relatives reported that he was not formally in a sentimental relationship and did not have any children.
Regarding the case, Diego Pesqueira, spokesman for the National Police (PN), reported this Monday morning that eight people have been arrested for investigative purposes, including a person with obvious mental disabilities but no direct accusations have been established.
Some similar cases in Greater Santo Domingo
Almost like Joel Cabrera Espino, but without fatalities, there are other cases where stones have been thrown at drivers throughout the city.
The night of this Sunday, December 11, 2022, before the end of the Cabrera Espino case.
In a video circulating on social networks, a similar case was revealed where an individual threw “a block” from the pedestrian bridge onto a vehicle that was traveling on John F. Kennedy Avenue at the corner of Winston Churchill.
“Right now, in front of the Infotep they threw a block at me, look they threw a block at me, glad to kill me like they kill the man last night in Ortega y Gasset,” said the citizen, referring to Joel Cabrera Espino
Likewise, on July 9, 2021; A citizen reported that he received a stone in front of his vehicle on Avenida 27 de Febrero with Av. Privada, according to the audiovisual shared by AN7 Noticia, the victim said it was an attempted assault.
In that order, on October 18, 2021, on Avenida Ecológica, in Santo Domingo Este, at 10:00 p.m., an event of the same modus was recorded.
“They have to be careful, there in the Ecological they are throwing stones, so that you stop and rob it, last night they broke my glass,” narrated a man while showing the damage caused to the vehicle in an audiovisual.
Similarly, on November 11, 2021, a citizen posted a video on social networks where he denounced and showed the damage to the vehicle with broken glass, he narrated ”Right now one of my neighbors has been attacked with the practice that is in the Ecological avenue of throwing stones at vehicles”, broken glass was observed in it.