Cuban journalist Camila Acosta is fined a thousand pesos for reporting on 11J

Cuban journalist Camila Acosta is fined a thousand pesos for reporting on 11J

Camila Acosta dodges the trial to which she was exposed for an alleged crime of public disorder after paying a fine of 1,000 pesos imposed by State Security. The independent journalist, who was arrested for reporting on the July 11 protests and had been in house arrest for 10 months for this case, has reported on the resolution of the case in an article published for Cubanetthe medium with which it collaborates.

Acosta recounts that the police of Aguilera, in the municipality of Diez de Octubre, summoned her on Wednesday and imposed a fine on her in the presence of her lawyer by virtue of a norm – relative to the criterion of opportunity – that allows her to resolve proceedings without going to court. courts.

The fine must be paid in three days, and although he believes it is an arbitrary measure, he accepts it to avoid going to trial, “which, knowing the constant violations that are committed and the state of total defenselessness before the laws, is the least of evils”.

In addition to the fine, State Security confiscated personal property that she allegedly had on the day of her arrest, July 12: two laptopa hard drive, two phones, five memories flash, work agendas, books, a blouse that she wore on July 11, 50 dollars and 20,000 CUP pesos. “Part of these assets were not even my property,” adds the journalist. She only got back a phone charger, a wireless computer mouse and a tape recorder, which she assumes were broken, because they don’t work.

Acosta denies that there is a crime and, even less, that the seized objects are related to the public disorder that he was accused of.

Acosta denies that there is a crime and, even less, that the confiscated objects are related to the public disorder that he was accused of.

During the four days that she was detained, the journalist says that she was interrogated by State Security twice a day for two hours on each occasion and there she confirmed that she participated in the July 11 protests as a reporter. “I don’t regret having done it and I would do it again. Reporting is not a crime, nor is demonstrating peacefully.”

Camila Acosta says she is aware that she did not commit a crime, but going to trial would imply a sentence of three months to one year in prison. The criminal investigation against the journalist was opened 10 months ago and in the last five she was under daily surveillance in her home, where she was constantly harassed “with the psychological burden that this represents, both personally and for family and friends.” “.

The journalist predicts that her fight is not over yet, “The new Penal Code is more criminal than the previous one, and provides the regime with repressive tools that directly attack independent journalists, the opposition and civil society in general. Calvary is far away to end”.

Camila Acosta is a collaborator of CubaNet and the Spanish newspaper ABC and before going through the independent Cuban press he was on local television, Canal Habana.

The transition to the private sector has cost him family breakups, repression and harassment from State Security, as has happened with many other reporters and activists.

Camila Acosta is a contributor to CubaNet and the Spanish newspaper ABC and before traveling through the independent Cuban press she was on local television

The resolution agreed in this case coincides with the release of several young people who participated in the 11J protests, such as the young Andy Garcia Lorenzowho was transferred from prison to an “open regime” camp, after an appeal trial where five others obtained the same benefit: Jorge Gabriel Arruebarruena, José Miguel Gómez Mondeja, Lázaro Alejandro Rodríguez Ruiz, Ariel Núñez Martínez, Mercy Daniela Pitchs Martínez and Amanda Dalai Matatamoros Cabrera.

Jonathan Torres Farrat was also released, as a change of precautionary measure, after paying bail, while awaiting trial.

Others released this Wednesday were Eloy Bárbaro Cardoso, an 18-year-old university student captured in La Güinera; Juan Yanier Antomarchi Nuñez, also 18 years old and sentenced in the first instance to 8 years of deprivation of liberty, and Dariel Cruz García, 20 years old, who also received an 8-year sentence.

In total, this week, 15 accused of participating in the July 11 protests have been released. 13 of the protesters had their sentences reduced by up to 10 years and for two he changed to correctional work, one of them, without internment.

________________________

Collaborate with our work:

The team of 14ymedio is committed to doing serious journalism that reflects the reality of deep Cuba. Thank you for joining us on this long road. We invite you to continue supporting us, but this time becoming a member of our newspaper. Together we can continue transforming journalism in Cuba.

(function (d) { var js, id = 'facebook-jssdk', ref = d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;} js = d.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.async = true; js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js"; ref.parentNode.insertBefore(js, ref); }(document));

function loginFacebook(returnTo) { FB.login(function (response) { if (response.authResponse) { var ret = returnTo.split("&"); window.location.href = "/usuarios/facebook-success.html" + "?accessToken=" + response.authResponse.accessToken + "&returnTo=" + JSON.stringify(ret); } }, {scope: 'email'}); }

Source link

Previous Story

The Fed plans to take its monetary policy to a level "neutral"

Latest from Ecuador