The Commission on Human Rights and Minorities of the Chamber of Deputies approved this Wednesday (1st) the summons of the Minister of Justice, Anderson Torres, to provide clarification on the death of Genivaldo de Jesus Santos during an approach by the Federal Highway Police (PRF) in Sergipe last week. The summons of the director of the PRF, Silvinei Vasques, was also approved by the collegiate.
The summons, unlike the invitation, is mandatory. If the person summoned does not appear without presenting a justification he considers “adequate”, he can be held accountable for a crime of responsibility.
The requests were presented by deputies Alexandre Frota (PSDB-SP), Túlio Gadelha (Rede-PE), Talíria Petrone (Psol-RJ) and Vivi Reis (Psol-PA). The requests were signed by deputies Frei Anastácio (PT-PB), Helder Salomão (PT-ES), Father João (PT-MG), Joenia Wapichana (Rede-RR) and Erika Kokay (PT-DF).
Anderson Torres said, on Monday (30), that administrative proceedings were initiated within the scope of the PRF and an investigation by the Federal Police (PF) and that the investigation of the case will be “as soon as possible”. “What had to be done by the State has already been done and now it is waiting for the conclusion”, said the minister.
On May 25, three federal highway police officers approached Genivaldo for riding a motorcycle without a helmet, on the BR-101, in the municipality of Umbaúba, located in the south of the state of Sergipe. Images posted on the internet show the victim trapped inside a smoky vehicle. The man struggles with his legs out as a highway patrolman keeps the trunk lid down, preventing the man from getting out.
According to the state’s Legal Medical Institute (IML), the victim died of acute failure secondary to asphyxia.